Mark your calendars! Mother’s Day is just around the corner (Sunday, May 14 this year) and don’t worry! You still have time to get the perfect gift for Mom.
My mom and I are incredibly close… dare I say she is my best friend? Of course she is and I am so lucky to have her. So when this day roles around each year, I think it is very important to remind the #1 woman in your life how much you love and appreciate her.
Shopping for your mom can be difficult. What do you get the woman you raised you into the person you are today? To make the process a little bit easier, here’s some ideas that will make your mom feel loved and appreciated.
- Flowers — all moms love flowers and they are a simple way to show you care. Get her favorite flowers and a card with a special note if you’re running low on time, don’t have time, or just forgot! Trust me, she won’t know and I won’t tell her.
- Perfume — who doesn’t love a fresh new scent to welcome the arrival of summer? Your mom will love the thought you put into this gift and it is so simple. Perfume can be pricey, but that doesn’t mean you have to break the bank! There are hundreds of affordable options that your mom will be sure to love.
Suggestions: Philosophy Pure Grace (Ulta; $48), Coach COACH Eau de Toilette (Macy’s, $55), Marc Jacobs Daisy (Macy’s, $80), Gourmand EDP Fragrance (Urban Outfitters, $18)
- Candle — simple but sweet your mom will love a fresh scented candle to add to her collection. There are so many options for candles and you can find them anywhere. This is another great option if you don’t have time to shop or just forgot to get her something. You can stop at nearly any store and find at least one candle that draws your attention. Yankee Candle is also doing a Mother’s Day promotion where you can add your own picture as a label which is a great and fun idea. This does require a bit more planning and you need to order ahead of time to get it in time.
Suggestions: Gourmand Candle (Urban Outfitters, $14), Love Mom – Praline Pecan (Bath & Body Works, $24.50), Thank You – Blue Ocean Waves (Bath & Body Works, $24.50), Watermelon Lemonade (Bath & Body Works, $24.50), Coconut Beach (Yankee Candle, $27.99)
- Makeup — This one can be tricky but if you do it right it is an automatic winner! Pay attention to what colors your mom wears and what you think would look good on her! There are infinite choices for you to choose from and you can’t go wrong with a little pampering.
Suggestions: Too Faced Natural Love Palette (Ulta, $59), Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick (Sephora, $19), Colourpop Ultra Matte/Satin Liquid Lipstick (Colourpop.com, $6), Tarte Quick Dry Matte Lip Paint (Ulta, $20)
- Gift Cards — I’m not talking about a Target or Walmart gift card. Get your mom something she’d actually use for herself! A gift card for a massage or facial, a manicure, or her favorite restaurant are all great options. The key to this is something she would love and use just for her. This can be on the pricey side but she’s your mom and she deserves it! Think of all the money she’s spent on you over the years!
- Jewelry — Not all women wear jewelry but a lot of women do! You can’t go wrong with a simple piece of jewelry that she can wear at her leisure. Prices on this can range from $10-$200 but avoid the lower prices because they are most likely not great quality and therefore won’t last as long as a more expensive piece. Look at what your mom wears on an everyday basis: does she wear earrings or a necklace? Does she have a charm bracelet you can get another charm for? If you notice she doesn’t wear jewelry, then this is probably not the best choice of gift. All women have jewelry but that doesn’t mean they enjoy wearing it. Unless she asks or mentions a piece of jewelry she likes, it might be best to steer clear of jewelry all together so you’re not adding to the pile of unworn necklaces.
- A Keepsake — For Christmas, I made both my parents a book called “I Love You Mom/Dad, and Here’s Why.” This was such an easy but great gift for my parents that showed them how much they both mean to me. You can do many renditions of this such as a scrapbook or letter. It’s a wonderful gift because she can look at it any time and remember how much you appreciate her. This does require more planning and time, but if you have the time this is probably the best gift you can give. Take your time to plan out what you’ll write so you don’t look back and think of something you forgot to add.
Book Mentioned: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/i-love-you-mom-mh-clark/1120308943?ean=9781938298554&st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Core+Shopping+Books_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP75606
Alternative Book: http://www.stage.com/p/knock-knock-what-i-love-about-mom-gift-book/375338/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=NonNTM_PLAs&CAWELAID=120124680004433315&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=30214277690&CATCI=pla-51320962143&catargetid=120124680004165435&cadevice=c
No matter what you do or don’t get your mom, just remember its the thought that counts. She will love anything you get her, whether it be as simple as flowers and a card or a scrapbook. Remember to tell your mom you love her and thank her for everything she’s done for you over the years. She has been your biggest supporter since day one, make sure she knows it hasn’t gone unnoticed.